Search For Treasures

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Louis Marak and Great American Wit

Here today, I bring to you the artwork of a unknown cartoonist. His name is Louis Marak.

I tried looking up who he was. The closest I got was a ceramics professor at Humboldt University. If anybody has any information on this guy, please let me know.

I love his artwork. He seems to draw in a Paul Coker-like style. That seemed to have been pretty popular style in the 1960s and 70s.

*Update: I have just received word that the artist in question is Louis B. Marak, a successful Hallmarks and studio artist. He is a cousin of the ceramics professor, who is named Louis B. Marak. Please thank Barton, Marak's stepson, for sharing this information. He also says that Mr. Marak is alive and still creating art. Tell him thanks from us.

Enjoy.










This is my favorite. This is a good way to design more realistic human characters. I would see an animated if the characters were this appealing.

Until Next Time
Happy Trails

6 comments:

Steven Hartley said...

I must recognise some of his drawings somewhere but since many cartoonists have so such style its hard to think.

Speaking of cartoonists, have you heard of Norman Thelwell, who was a great British comic-artist who's famous for his drawings of stubby girls on fat ponies, he's great and I made a tribute about him and you'll find out something once reading it through - its a suprise.

Anonymous said...

I love the style of these cartoons. I wonder why Louis Marak faded into obscurity anyhow?

Anyways, thanks for the great post, Eric. I sure hope that someone sheds light on this mystery artist. I can't wait to see what you're gonna post next.

chrisallison said...

These are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

This is my step dad . His name is Louis D. Marak. He was a freelance artist for Hallmark Cards in Kansas City Mo for several years. About 20-30 years ago he was the most successful and well regarded artist within the Hallmark contemporary arts department. He is also a very accomplished studio artist. His artwork is primarily oil & acrylic paintings, and charcoal portraits. If you like his cartoons you will really like his artwork. He very talented. His cousin is the Ceramics Professor that Whose name is Louis B Marak. My step dad, Louis D Marak, lives in Kansas City Mo and continues to be very active with his art.
- Bart Bennett

Eric Noble said...

Thank you very much Barton for sharing this information. I hope to see some of his artwork someday. If you have any to share with us, we would be most obliged.

Unknown said...

It was awesome to see the pictures you posted. Many of them are new to me and I have know Louis Marak my whole life! I am proud to say I am one of his daughters. Though he does not do cards for Hallmark anymore, (They "upgraded" to digital) he certainly has not faded. He is still going strong! Thank you so much for your appreciation of his work. He is an amazing artist, father and grandfather. Wish I could post some of his work, but you can Google Louis Marak Kansas City and see more about him. Thanks and hi Bart!